Tuesday 22 January 2013

Anna le lo..Anna Le lo...Rs 5 mein...



It so happened that my Delhi trip this month coincided with Anna's fast. Anna was everywhere....from news channels who were covering him 24*7...peaceful protest rallies...candle light march...turning off the power supply for an hour....giving missed calls to support his move...huge fan following in social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter..All these people wanted to convey only one message to the government that they with Anna Hazare.

I got to witness things more closely when I reached the capital on the 9th day of Anna's fast.

Some of my over enthusiastic relatives had asked me to visit the Ramlila Maidan once, so that I can boast in front of my children (who are yet to come) that I was also a part of this historic movement. I seriously couldn't figure out how my mere presence at the Ramlila grounds will in any way make me a part of this movement.

All I saw during these days were roads getting disrupted, snarling traffic, metros being shut and effigies being burnt of the politicians. It was like a Yo thing wearing the Anna cap...holding a flag and riding a bike...and shouting 'Vande Mataram'. I felt like asking these cool dudes..do they even know what the Lokpal Bill is all about.....

When I reached the New Delhi station this time I tried giving a piece of advice to the auto driver who was expecting me to shell out Rs 400 for a distance which would have not been more than Rs 100. These drivers were up to date with the latest trend as they were all in Anna caps, I so happened to ask one of them why are you wearing this cap when you are corrupted yourself. All I got to hear was 'Madamji suniye jana hain to chaliye..nahi to aage badhiye...”...All my samaj sudharne ki dreams got shattered when that autowala retorted in this way.

Finally on the 12th day, Anna called off his fast and I got to know that all the supporters have agreed to meet at India Gate on August 28th at 6pm. My friend who is from a TV channel was covering this event and I agreed to accompany her so that I can at least tell those relatives....my children won't get to read my name in their history books...but they will be happy that I was a part of the celebration. (without contributing or doing anything).

Supporters started thronging the place from 3 in the afternoon, in bikes, cars, vans and buses. All the TV channels were present at the grounds with their OD vans. Heavy police protection and it was under high surveillance.

The most interesting thing which i saw there was how Anna was being commoditised. Anna goods were in high demand and heavy bargaining took place..Anna batches were being sold for Rs 10..Anna caps for Rs 5...Painters charged Rs 5 for just using three strokes of our tri colour on either forehead or arms...Flags were being sold for Rs 50..wrist bands for Rs 30...I seriously felt like going to the nearest shop...buy paints of Saffron, white and green. At least I could have earned some easy money with which I could have done some more street shopping. (you know how irresistible they are in Delhi).

There were few who genuinely supported the movement and were present there. Majority of them had come for fun. They were busy clicking pictures in different posses with the flag for their Facebook profile picture. The crowd was super cheap who mainly came for bird watching and passing lewd comments.

Today i read in Mid Day that the bed which was being used by Anna for resting purposes, is actually a drinking hub for few locals there. They are happy that Anna's fast is over and they have got back their original drinking place.{We used to come here regularly to find out when Anna was going to leave. He may have enjoyed his 12-day fast, but it was a very sad time for us. We had to run helter-skelter to find a place to have a good time," said Mohammed Dilshad, a 27-year-old, who lives in the area.}-Mid Day.

I wonder which is the next trend which some will again follow blindly... and some genuinely.....


Pic courtesy: guardian.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment