Tuesday 22 January 2013

Plight of street kids in Mumbai


LAST SATURDAY evening while I was returning from Bandra after fully satiating my shopping hunger I saw a gory scene which made me have sleepless nights for many days.

It was one such day when I was bit by the urge to do some shopping and splurging and which other place to go to, in Mumbai, other than Bandra...which satisfies your appetite without pinching the pocket. I was accompanied by a friend of mine in this expedition.

While we were at the station...we heard a shrill wailing sound of a little girl. People standing nearby ignored the cry initially thinking it to be some sort of commotion created by the slum kids who lived nearby. The cry somehow did not subside, then commuters started gathering and they all surrounded the young victim... there was this young girl whose eyes were closed and white froth was oozing out from her eyes and she was shrieking in pain.

People standing near to me said that someone threw acid on her eyes...but we were actually not sure of what it was.

That girl pointed her finger to the assailant...a young chap not more than ten for sure. We are all familiar with the Indian mob mentality right... the gathered crowd started beating the boy black and blue without in fact attending to the poor victim. The callous attitude of the public irritated us but even we stood spineless and just hoped for some miracle to take place which would lessen her pain.

Two policemen, who were posted at the station came and took the girl with them...After the crowd dispersed we found that a paper whitener was used to damage her eyes. This incident made me shudder and I couldn't even imagine the condition of her eyes. I knew that if not given proper treatment would lead to loss of eye sight.

Now the question arises that what was that child doing with a whitener ...was he using it to dope or was he hired by someone to do the needful as seen in Hindi movies, portraying the lives of beggars in Mumbai? The question keeps racing in my mind and I am not sure whether I will ever be able to find an answer to it or not.

Pic courtesy: Mumbaiaction.org

No comments:

Post a Comment